Sunday, July 24, 2011

New India. Age 20 years.

It started 20 years ago, on the same date of 24th July, 1991. Back then, I was in Standard 1. Never knew what was done by the PV Narashima Rao Government and the present Prime Minister, the then Finance Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh. I only remember those years to be turbulent after the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi. Then two years later, it was 1993 bombings of Bombay. But, today we are supposed to enjoy the fruits of the nationalized as well as the international brands.

Those days, a BMW was a wow on the roads of Kolkata (the place from where I am). I still remember gazing at the pics of the bikes and the automobiles that originated across the border. Back then, it was only America for us. Tinge knowledge of the globalization settled our minds. Today, even a toddler knows about the Nikes and the Addidas, the Porsche and the Mercs!

Globalization have taken its stride to introduce international brands settle in India, providing jobs. Before '91 there were only the government firms and the few private ones like TATA or Bajaj or Reliance, to name a few, or the few Mehtas and the Agarwals' outlets. Now the norms of super markets, glitters India. 20 years into a realization, which I believe can bring about good stead for those 37% (Tendulkar Commission; 2007) individuals below the poverty line, in the coming years of another 15 years may be!

I am not a finance Guru, so that's much I can put my feeling forward. Anyways, its happy birthday to New India and Finance Policy!

No comments:

Post a Comment