Sunday, October 16, 2011

Story of a Little Indian State: Himachal Pradesh (Part 2)

From my previous snippets of the trip, I had reached Shimla, with my mom. The day was 1st October, 2011. Back in Kolkata, Pujas was just starting!

From the station, we hired a cab. Still skeptical about the choice of the hotel, because it is for this place, I had quite a bitter experience with Travelguru.com, with whom I had initially booked, but they let me down. Firstly, they couldn't confirm the hotel of my choice: Hotel Gulmarg. Secondly, they provided us accommodating with another Hotel, Hotel Sun n Snow, but there too they failed to confirm our stay. Pissed off and after uselessly spending over 500 rupees for the Mumbai STD at the Travelguru office, I cancelled the booking. I found their representatives rude and un-proffessional  bunch of hooligans!

Anyways, after a history of dallying around, I booked a room in Hotel Doegar (Click here). Pretty nice hotel. Bit expensive, but the people are really warm in behavior! I paid a part of our stay as a token of booking from their designated bank account and wella..they had all the information! In fact, they arranged for a pick up as well. Mr. Raju, the driver was a great company as well which we realized on the third day of our stay at Shimla and then following that, the car ride to Manali.

Exquisite. It is the only word, I could describe the hotel view from our veranda! The morning had a magical viel upon the several red-green-blue tiles against the green backdrop of the Himalayas! The contours were mystic, "V" shaped...like the Holy Grail... In one word, with a different flavor, I would describe it marvelous!

(c) Somnath Paul, 2011: Good morning Shimla.

It was a simple Mall Road trip on Day 1 (1/10/11). My previous experiences with the Mall had been great. Thrice, to be precise. First time it was in Darjeeling, second time it was Gangtok (both in 1994) and the last time it was in Rabong (Sikkim, 2011). This is the fourth time, and as far as my imagination chips in, The Mall at Shimla is the most clean one that I have ever seen. It was a table top, with ridge on both sides, where the capital of the state expands its wings! It was cloudy, without doubt, but each day, the Mall posted its own beauty. From Gloomy to Sunny...

(c) Somnath Paul, 2011. Shimla Municipal Office, Mall Road.

(c) Somnath Paul, 2011: Christ Church, Mall Road. Shimla.

Day two at Shimla, beckoned me to rethink the journey as well as the finance. Initially, a Rs. 20000 trip budget looked like it would be escalating by another 10K, soon. But, it was after the bus trip on day 2; incidentally, it was bright and sunny morning and also the date was 2nd October, 2011. Although I was in Shimla, I could bet that the birthday of the Father of our Nation was marred by the Puja madness; it was Sasthi...

Being a holiday, the Mall sounded high pitched. School students in their uniform paid homage to Mahatma Gandhi. There were baloons, soap bubbles and candy floss. In between them was a whole India. being a hill station, several famous boarding schools are in Shimla, where children from all over India use to come  and pursue studies! But among the smell of the Candy Floss and the ring of the bells, announcing the Indian Fast foods namely PapriChaats on offer, I could smell the Mahogany, the Cedar and the Pines... Sun, weaved a nice picture upon the mountains, bringing the dark cloud shadows upon the lush green!

(c) Somnath Paul, 2011: Hide n seek!

Before boarding the bus, for the day's trip to Fagu >> Chail, it was a nice view. Hopeful, I boarded the bus with mom! But then, this ride would determine the next 8 days!!

Anyways, I moved on with my mom....


1 comment: