Skip to main content

#Presi200

The perfect occasion to write a blog, the day when US will be having a new President and the bold voice of Bengal, bolder pre independence; thought of New Age India for Literature, Philosophy and Science dresses up to enter a new century. Presidency University, Kolkata erstwhile Presidency College, Calcutta completes 200 years of existence.

Come to term, the democracy of India enters only 70 years of existence. But the seed of the nation have always been broiling within the still standing pillars of Presidency.

Many books and articles will blunt out the fact of Presi's 200 years, which I wont rant over here. I would like to share how, 14 years ago, it was a matter of immense self reconciliation and win over self confidence after I walked through the alters of this place of excellence. A state owned education system competed with the Delhi based board education. In Kolkata, it was always tough to get through good colleges, due to the abject cut offs set by the authorities that made the competition really difficult at the percentile pace. After finishing my school (K-12, ISC) from Calcutta Boys' School, my mom and myself went frantically searching for colleges and picking forms. My numbers were good, but my certificate board was not. Picking for various combinations of life science (Zoology, Microbiology and Physiology), I was placed somewhere at the waiting list. Later on, this waiting list came to be an eternal friend as in such competition, I waited to get ultimate gateway. Anyways, out of 10 colleges that I applied with the likes of Maulana Azad College (Zoology), Scottish Church (Zoology and MicroBiology), Jadavpur University (Geology and Physics), Asutosh College (Biochemistry and Microbiology), etc; all except Maulana Azad College admitted me.

Still, I had a beautiful wait. Only Presidency College had exam in all subjects and I took the Zoology and Physiology. The day Saint Xavier's pulled out the results, which was solely rejection; I accompanied with my school friend Arunima Sen, went to Presidency College. I had sent my good luck, my mom earlier to check the results. I didnot want to go to Maulana Azad College. And thank God, I kept my hopes alive.

The three years on Presidency (2003-06) sharpened me in all aspects. My skill, social acumen and knowledge. That's why, we all loop into one thing : "Presidencians Never Die. They Come Back to College".

2017 marks the 200th birthday. I miss it, thanks for my other work for which my Alma Mater made me. I wish the coming Century to be more glorious than ever before.

P.C: Somnath Paul, 2006

Popular posts from this blog

Ahiron Part 4: The Last Few Straws of the Journey.

Incredible India, Incredible History.
Just now listening to one of my favorite oldies, Kahin Door Jab Din Dhal Jaye, from Anand. Ahiron and Murshidabad domain occupies just 0.075% of the land mass of the nation, but it is here where the fate of India was written 300 years ago, initiating its slipping into the hands of the British. The Britons set their first claw grasp here, thanks to Lord Robert Clive. Shiraj Ud Dwala, the then Nawab of Bengal (King of Bengal), faced the atrocities of the british, but he was also subjected to an internal betrayal of his relatives, especially his elder maternal aunt, Ghaseti Begum. Ghaseti Begum wasn't pleased with his annex to the throne, after the death of Ali Vadri Khan, Shiraj's maternal grand father. Shiraj's original name was Mirja Mohammed Siraj, originally from Bihar where he was from the royal family, the ruler of Bihar, Zain Uddin being his father. Ghaseti Begum wasn't happy with the interference of Bihar and wanted his son Sh…

Unit Area assessment system: Kolkata Municipality goes Trendy...

E-commerce have been in the forefront for a long time. For the first time, I thought of trying out and to my very surprise found the whole image well organized.
Today, while veiwing the daily news in Star Ananda, I came across the news where the Unit Area Assessment System was formally announced, the system in its due course of being implemented as law for taxation for the MegaCity of Kolkata. The pros and cons:
* Relief from the whimses of the Property Tax commissioners who sometimes make un-fair calculations to levy taxes. * The extra Income, if any, collected through renting premises will not be reflected on the tax. * Consistent and Constant Equation based Calculation for all the premises in the designated location.
The City of Joy have been devided into regions, based on the socio-economic status of the residents and the degree of civic service available. The 148 Wards of the Kolkata Municipality have been segregated into 174 locales, whereby they are categorized into Group A to Group…

Hope of Change #1

In the next few articles, I will try to put down a series of articles called hope of change and really hope to complete the series, before the 13th May, 2011; the day when the West Bengal assembly Results pops out!
This year, for the past 3 years have been mentioned as a year of change. A change from the ruling of the Communist Party of India and it's alliance, which had over ruled all the decisions, for the past 7 terms, ~ 35 years. Started with Late Jyoti Basu and believed to end with Buddhadeb Bhattacharya. Several reasons have been spotted for the need of this change, but till date every one had only one option. None other than the the CPM. This time round, since 2008-09, Mamata Banerjee, the all in one leader from Trinamool Congress holds the batton for the change. In this first article I shall put forward what the ruling Leftists did wrong that helped TMC to gain grounds into the heart of Bengal Population.
1) It is a well known aspect of human society; Arrogance brings the en…