Thursday, October 08, 2009

Orkut "Promote": Helpful Tool.

Today, every one knows about ORKUT. The first ever massive social networking, following whose model, Facebook and Ibibo came upfront. Now-adays, both Orkut and Facebook has a fan following which also has it's regular arguments, without which the matter seems very tasteless. To help out the fans, both the portals are bringing in innovative ideas, firstly to be better and then to keep the argument on!

The initiator was Facebook. It had many interactive features and games, that one can participate and with a result, can spread the word and enable others in the friendlist to directly compete as well as others all over the world compete and make it a global phenomenon. Still, I prefer Orkut coz it seems more soothing to the eye while talking and searching out friends and contacts! Its much more composed, compared to the appearance of Facebook. But without further indulgence into the debate and getting biased towards Orkut, although I have account in both, I would love to close down into the most pertinent topic of this article: The newly incorporated PROMOTE feature by Orkut. We have all been very conscious economically spreading the word of an endeavor or anything, as an advertisement involved cost! When I started on BIOSPHERE tutorial in the April 2009, I took the painst to search out the various Biology course supported colleges in Calcutta to spread the word. Now, with Orkut's Promote option, the work is easier to do and what's more? It comes completely free! Even my friends can promote my indulgence in his / her friendlist for a better outcome! I have taken some snaps of the tool in the making and would feel good to explain them:

Snap #1:


© Somnath Paul. October 2009.
Well, the snap shows my profile on orkut, which you can avail from the blog link as well. The red encircled zone depicts a promotion of some 120G tank by Tirthankar. As I mentioned that a third person can help the publisher of the ad, to get the promoted, even if the person doesnt know the ad-giver! It is made easy with a single click on the "cool, promote it" button.

Snap #2:

 © Somnath Paul. October 2009.
This is the Tool Portal, where we have to promote our matter with the matter appearance format being encircled in blue already in the snapshot taken.

Snap #3:


© Somnath Paul. October 2009.
Snap three shows the various aspects in a finished product, from the managing portal.
     A: Cool Promote it option in the final finished advertisement.
     B: The poster / text of the advertisement. Overhere I have put forward the picture of the Biosphere poster from my "publicly" shared album on Orkut.
     C: Promotions, Viewed, Hate list [Thrash], Clicks to see. Here Shomjit, a good friend from Presidayz have done the needful.
     D: The total reach and people viewing my stuff! The dark blue means direct friends, while the degree of fadeness depicts how close the person looking at the promotion is. Mind It! Its directly proportional to the degree of fadeness!

I am loving this concept as in a span of two days of promotion I have had 131 interested people! [Updated: 08/10/09] Hope you will Promote some and me for a cause! I will do the same, as in: cool, promote it!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I am currently using orkut and facebook i always choose orkut as my regular usage..
    Because orkut was really nice social site and this article giving me info about orkut so i really like it..

    ReplyDelete