Friday, January 17, 2014

The Dent

Not the text form of the Dentist. Its a dent and I am referring to the beautiful illustration by Matt Might regarding the "concept" and "reality" of PhD. After going through those cheesy comics put forward by phdcomic, this read was a really innovative. You can just flash through though: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-illustrated-guide-to-a-phd-2012-3

On the practical front, it looks like a small achievement, that looks a big game in your point of view. After re-reading the Hindu Mythological texts, I have realized that it's better to pursue your work rather than thinking as to what impact it shall bring. It's not important to be recognized by all, but important to be recognized by yourself as it is you who have come to this world in your skin and will leave without the same. Its you who is important to realize the work you do and the extent of pleasure you get from it. It is important to keep working.

The above link illustrates such. In the sphere of human knowledge your achievement may be negligible; but there will be people who can use the dent as a stepping stone to climb. After all, science and knowledge should build upon themselves rather than get stalled. Once it's stalled, realize it to be the end! In my daily life, I come across several scientists and budding ones who want to serve science. Their fields are varied; similarly they shall know the names of "big shots" in their field, whom I may not know and vice versa. I had realized that in the uncountable conferences that I had attended in this 4 years of PhD. There could have been a few more, to increase this field of unknown.

Hence, its a dent in the thought. I am not thinking as to why is there any requirement for making the dent! I can never think like that. Infact, I love making it. Just that I need to think hard as to how I can sustain the enthusiasm to keep on working like this. May be, I have my answer; my way... Infact everyone has it in their way. It's just a matter of time that one realizes about it.

Till then....

No comments:

Post a Comment