Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ghost Under the Sun.

I did see it at last. The grey black establishment, the ghost under the sun that stood still, six storey up, over looking all the pedestrian who once were moving in or out in the fancy hotels and music stores that it housed, beside the broadway. The Stephens Court, tanned like the black tea, tells every one its sad demise after garlanding the famous crossings at Park Street. Its has a fame for itself. It housed one of the most famous resturant in the city, The Peter Cat (Whose Chelo Kabab is the best for the common man's platter.) How can one forget the famous Flury's, the one stop heart throb for all those Choco-pastry lovers!

Today, I went to Park Street for a brief work, before I would make my way to IICB for my work. When I was walking past the ruins, I could get the smell of those charred bricks, mutely intoxicated by the smell of the burnt flesh. I can identify that, for I have been in and around the cremation grounds so I could smell that.

I was busy over the phone that time, so couldnt take a snap with my mobile cam, but  the ghost stood still like a black faced monster coming out of the pages of the great epics of Mahabharat or Ramayan. I pressed my palm against my chest, uttered the name of the Lord Almighty in memories of those departed souls, charred or dropped from the heights in name of humanity.



Park Street stood mumb, the hustle and bustle of the city drew to silence around Stephens' Court, the home of biggest fire tragedy in history of the city! The death toll as per official reports was 30, but given the unofficial talks and number of families out there to grab the dead bodies, makes it clear that the toll will not be stalled at 30. Unless any crooked politics come into the forefront, the charred carcasses will be restored in the  trembling hands of their own ones!!!

Rest them in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment