Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bed Lamp.

The current have been off for past three hours and it has been at the most unfortunate juncture when the two emergency lamps have been out of charge. But, with two days post a full moon night, the silver of the moon glittered across the streets of tired Kolkata.

I had my research work, trying to stitch a link between the cancer cell lines and my goal to finish a work, whose dateline for submission was nearing the brim of our Cookie Jar...Any day, Mr. Results would try to take out some cookies, and I was incessantly trying to bake some!!! The LED of my laptop glowed through the darkness. It was running for three hours and would soon blink to a sleep... I hurried along.

Mother brought out a twentieth century lamp, which I have been seeing for the past quarter century of my existence. One of the very few items that survived the mood swings of time and was working for the fifth generation of my clan... The lamp, being manufactured in 1923 by a local craftsman, Mr. Anil Mahut, who gifted the piece to my great great grandpa, as token of gratitude. I heard that my great great grandfather had once helped him with money to conduct his son's treatment.

History apart... My Laptop blinks and resounds a good night!

The flame blinked in the cool breeze, coming for the West. It rained heavily since morning. A lucky co-incidence, the clouds cleared for the moon to show her brilliance. Pictures vividly swept past my vision. The lamp made me realize the warmth of fire... an object of fascination, whose bulged glass never broke in immense heat although in standard II, a fine glass cracked infront of my eyes when our maid poured in boiling water in it... (Physics later explained by un-equal expansion of glass)...

Knowledge may have answered my questions, but in it's presence, I have, like others- lost the basic instincts of human beings to appreciate nature and take a time off to enjoy its radiance... Something, that before dying tries to establish it's past and presence, like the blinking cursor...(even the natural comparisons have found themselves an extinct status: BLINKING CURSOR)...  I believe in self criticism....

The Bed Lamp glowed its way, when the sleep brought in more memoirs back to square ONE...

Candle and Light [Somnath Paul; www.somnath-is-here.blogspot.com, Jul 2010]

No comments:

Post a Comment