Monday, September 27, 2010

SSKM... The Institutional Hell.

( I take all the responsibility for this TRUE story. If found guilty for treason, I will be more than happy to know that my NEWs, surpassed Star Ananda, 24 Ghanta, Kolkata TV and other media news channel, who make news to get a better TRP!)

Responsibility begins from home, and I fear, there is NO RESPONSIBILITY by these Ad-Hoc Media Channels... Sometimes, they spill out too much stink!

27th September, 2010:
I came back home from my Lab, to find my mom shaking her head in disgust, gazing over a very intriguing debate conducted by Suman, Star Ananda. Its on the present situation of health care, where the SSKM junior doctors are on strike since Saturday, 25/09/10. Today, the situation became grim, with the Junior doctors taking aid of sticks to beat up the patient party.

Great Cook Up!

I paged my friend (to be refered as representative of Junior Doctors' Forum), who is at SSKM, junior doctor. This representative is a year younger than me and as I am, is also very irritant when things are not legal and just! I wanted to have the news from the Horse's mouth.

The first word mentioned was " Fuck Media ". Being a sensible third party I was pretty taken back, but then, being educated I wanted to listen to the actual story. The Media, as I always know play with the news...edit them, to make them look gullible. I know this from my Presidency College Union Days...

My friend narrates me the truth. Although it started from a relatively older one, an incident occuring two weeks back, I listened... at last I was induced by my senses to advise my friend to join the protest with FORCE!

Diagnosis can always have success as well as failure, but that doesn't mean to take to violence. (I have protested this long time back, in my blog, where I mentioned that failure of treatment doesn't make a doctor killer! And that doesn't mean to hit the doctors like Hooligans!) Two weeks back, the same happened with my friend, who in the dead of the night, 3:30AM was dragged with colleagues to the Bawanipur P.S. The "treason", they couldn't make a 75% dead body alive! The media, fueled in, by advising the insensible patient party, to take the names of the Junior Docs and make an FIR. My friend said that instead of being neutral, they loved to spread the fumes of anger amongst the patient party and take good images. My friend was slapped many a times, but it was shown on TV that the patient was murdered and that beating the doctors was justified!

Coming back to 25.09.10.

Demanding on Junior Doc's security, the same docs staged a day long protest. The security was tightened but for a fortnight. The problem that was risked was entry of too many patient's relative (refered to as patient party). If any mishap happened, that resulted an agitation and a fight! Fortnight later, the security was breached by bribery. The same happened on 25.09.10. Too many patient's relatives as well as some X-factors (I will also reveal these X-Factors later on), beat up a MCH doctor, a doctor of high quality. It was night time. A commotion followed, opening the wounds, just two weeks old! The junior physicians, PGT, MBBS, House physicians sat on strike. The demand: Lack of Commitment in the name of Security. 

The strike was decided to be called off officially on 27th Sept, 2010 and the Juniors would join the work force. Sunday night, a make up incident took place that would shatter the noble decision, taken on Sunday.

The Paediatric department had a patient, at around 11PM. The on duty Junior Doc checked the child and diagnosed with min or incident and after advising medicines, asked the family of the patient to take him back, as he would be just fine! Suddenly, the patient's family members got agitated interpreting it as refusal to admit. Some more men joined the commotion (X-Factors included). The outsiders came with sticks to beat the Doc on Duty. The Doctor ran to the second floor rest room and locking himself from inside, called upon the hostel boarders. He shouted over the phone: "Come as soon as possible or you will not see my corpse as well". When the boarders (~ 50 junior docs) came down, with axed down branches, for self defense (Something provided as a Right in the Indian Constitution), found no one at the gates. The agitated party fled. Still the Doctors didn't give up!

There is a rule at SSKM. For night stay, in  critical conditions, the doctors issue RED CARD to restricted number of patient family members. This rule was implemented keeping the safety of Docs in mind.

The Junior Docs now charged into the rest room, where the family members can stay for the night, in critical emergency situation. They asked for the RED CARD. One silhouette was noticed at the corner window. The on duty doc recognized the man to be one of the leaders of the commotion. As indicated, the junior doctors rushed the man out of the campus, along with several NON RED Card Holders!

They also used some force which the STAR ANANDA and 24 Ghanta portrayed as HOOLIGAN Docs. Surprising was to learn that police came in 2 hours later and randomly caught hold of 5 Docs. As per my sister, all are brilliant students!

The question:
What is taking place? No Media is true as they use camera with out sensibility.

X - Factors: 
The State Opposition is trying to show the dilapidated state of the health affairs in West Bengal.

Then what is the ruling body doing? Commanding to join work, and accusing all bad was from the Docs' side! The reason? VOTE 2011. They want to have the votes!

5 comments:

  1. its true .. media sucks .. hating it ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx for raising ur voice for truth...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think media should have a responsibility to serve min amount of high quality news in stead of large nos of false statements. Because willful false evidence giving is a punishable offence moreover 1000 tons of rotten eggs will never be superior than a single fresh one.........What happened on 25-26-27/9/10 was totally misinterpreted..

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent writeup...an eye opener..thanks for this..

    ReplyDelete